Seeking Heaven While Still on Earth
While the place of heaven is our destination, the way of heaven should be our pursuit. As disciples, we are to put to death the deeds of this world and to put on the new self as we seek the things above.
- After Paul addresses the Colossians’ doctrinal integrity (1-2), he instructs their practical purity (3-4).
- Our behaviors originate from our beliefs.
Seeking Heavenly Priorities (Col. 3:1-4)
- What Christ wants for your life is vastly different from what culture wants for your life.
- Heavenly aspirations should consume our earthly opportunities.
- Jesus will never settle to be a part of your life.
Killing Earthly Desires (Col. 3:5-7)
- Kill any type of sexual desire that cannot be met in your marriage relationship.
- When you covet and pursue someone who isn’t yours, you commit idolatrous sin.
- Don’t engage in behavior that deserves the wrath of God and repeats our old ways.
Protecting Kingdom Relationships (Col. 3:8-11)
- Hostile emotions and speech are unacceptable in the life of a disciple.
- You won’t be able to put something off for long if you don’t put something on in its place.
- The church should experience heavenly harmony among its members since Christ is our unifier.
Where are my danger areas?
Travis Agnew serves as the Lead Pastor of Rocky Creek Church in Greenville, SC. His most recent book is Just (About) Married.