Some will say that pride isn’t only evil but the root of every type of evil. No wonder the Bible talks a lot about it.
Here are 10 Bible verses to read, study, or memorize to fight against pride.
- Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall (Prov. 16:18).
- For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself (Gal. 6:3).
- But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble” (James 4:6).
- When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom (Prov. 11:2).
- Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight (Rom. 12:16).
- One’s pride will bring him low, but he who is lowly in spirit will obtain honor (Prov. 29:23).
- Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves (Phil. 2:3).
- Everyone who is arrogant in heart is an abomination to the Lord; be assured, he will not go unpunished (Prov. 16:5).
- For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world (1 John 2:16).
- Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted (Matt. 23:12).
Travis Agnew serves as the Lead Pastor of Rocky Creek Church in Greenville, SC. His most recent book is Just (About) Married.