Envy. It is a feeling of discontented or resentful longing aroused by someone else’s possessions, qualities, or luck. And it leads to justifying others sins. Here’s 10 Bible verses that speak to the issue of envy.
- Prov. 14:30 – A tranquil heart gives life to the flesh, but envy makes the bones rot.
- Gal. 5:26 – Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
- 1 Pet. 2:1 – So put away all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander.
- 1 Cor. 13:4 – Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant.
- James 3:16 – For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice.
- Prov. 23:17 – Let not your heart envy sinners, but continue in the fear of the Lord all the day.
- Titus 3:3 – For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another.
- Ps. 37:7 – Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices!
- 1 Cor. 3:3 – For you are still of the flesh. For while there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not of the flesh and behaving only in a human way?
- Phil. 2:3 – Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.
Travis Agnew serves as the Lead Pastor of Rocky Creek Church in Greenville, SC. His most recent book is Just (About) Married.