Jesus absorbed the wrath of God so that we need not fear its consequences for our lives. Through the death and resurrection of Jesus, we can truly come to life.
1 Thessalonians 5:9-11
#1. Will I Receive God’s Wrath?
For God has not destined us for wrath (5:9a)
- Either you or Jesus will be responsible for the punishment of your sin.
- God will not make you suffer for something that Jesus has already paid in full.
#2. How Can I Be Sure I’m Saved?
but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ (5:9b)
- The reason you give for your salvation determines its validity.
- I’m a Christian because ___________________________.
- The only way anyone is saved is through our Lord Jesus Christ.
#3. What Happens When I Die?
(who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with him (5:10)
- Jesus lived perfectly, died sacrificially, rose victoriously, and awaits eagerly.
- Jesus was willing to die for someone specific – you.
- Nothing in life or death is powerful enough to keep us away from Christ.
#4. What Should I Do Now?
Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing (5:11)
- Don’t expect a robust spiritual life if you only give it attention occasionally.
- We are saved from something (death), but we are also saved to something (discipleship).
Travis Agnew serves as the Lead Pastor of Rocky Creek Church in Greenville, SC. His most recent book is Just (About) Married.