Jesus absorbed the wrath of God so that we need not fear its consequences for our lives. Through the death and resurrection of Jesus, we can truly come to life.
1 Thessalonians 5:9-11
#1. Will I Receive God’s Wrath?
For God has not destined us for wrath (5:9a)
- Either you or Jesus will be responsible for the punishment of your sin.
- God will not make you suffer for something that Jesus has already paid in full.
#2. How Can I Be Sure I’m Saved?
but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ (5:9b)
- The reason you give for your salvation determines its validity.
- I’m a Christian because ___________________________.
- The only way anyone is saved is through our Lord Jesus Christ.
#3. What Happens When I Die?
(who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with him (5:10)
- Jesus lived perfectly, died sacrificially, rose victoriously, and awaits eagerly.
- Jesus was willing to die for someone specific – you.
- Nothing in life or death is powerful enough to keep us away from Christ.
#4. What Should I Do Now?
Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing (5:11)
- Don’t expect a robust spiritual life if you only give it attention occasionally.
- We are saved from something (death), but we are also saved to something (discipleship).