The task of evangelism is an expectation of all followers of Jesus, but few of us feel comfortable in undertaking it. We must understand the foundation of evangelism if we are to prioritize it in our lives.
Question: Why are so many Christians hesitant about sharing their faith?
What Is Evangelism?
Evangelism Is Not…
- Only Presence
- Only Serving
- Only Content
“The compassionate sharing of the Good News of Jesus Christ with lost people, in the power of the Holy Spirit, for the purpose of bringing them to Christ as Savior and Lord, that they in turn might share Him with others. “Tim Beougher
This definition makes clear the following:
- Spirit of Evangelism – Compassion
- Method of Evangelism – Sharing (verbal and non-verbal; act and a process).
- Content of Evangelism – Good News of Jesus Christ
- Recipients of Evangelism – Lost People
- Power of Evangelism – Holy Spirit
- Purpose of Evangelism – Bringing them to Christ as Savior and Lord.
- Perpetuation of Evangelism – They win others
Biblical Basis for Evangelism
- Authority: Matthew 28:18-20
- Objective (All People): Mark 16:15
- The Method (Go Tell): John 20:21
- The Message: Luke 24:45-49
- Go with power: Acts 1:8
Holy Spirit in Evangelism
- Guides (Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch): Acts 8:26
- Empowers: Acts 1:8
- Convinces: John 16:8-11
- Regenerates: John 3:5-7