Once we understand the message of the Gospel, it is time to dive into the method. There is no one method for sharing the Good News of Jesus. The best practice is the one that makes us feel the most comfortable.
Do you already have a method for sharing the Gospel, or do you know of any?
Tell the story of how you became a Christian and what Christ has done in your life since then.
- Life before Christ
- How The Lord Saved You
- Life After Christ
Have a 3-minute testimony.
Values of Your Testimony
- It has a high degree of human interest
- It is easy to share
- It helps others be more willing to share their life with you.
If You Don’t Think You Have a Testimony
- Realize that you do have a testimony!
- Focus On
- Your home life, the people who influenced you, and your early Christian experience.
- Your early understanding of what following Christ meant.
- How you came to relate personally to Jesus as Lord and Savior.
- Specific areas where Christ has made a difference and areas where He is still working (include what knowing Christ has kept you from–i.e. you were able to withstand peer pressure).
“Do’s” In Giving Your Testimony
- Begin your testimony with an attention-getting sentence:
- I used to think I knew what was going on in life.
- I used to be afraid of dying, but not anymore.
- I grew up in a church but did not understand its purpose until a few years ago.
- End your testimony with a response question:
- And that is how I became a Christian. Does what I said make sense?
- Do you feel like you have come to know Christ yet, or are you still on the way?
- Adjust your testimony so others can identify with you.
- Identify with weaknesses and needs as honestly as you can.
- Use Scripture (Hebrews 4:12; 2 Tim. 3: 16-17)
- Present Christ, not yourself.
- Stress the personal relationship you have with Christ.
“Don’ts” In Giving Your Testimony
- Avoid using “church” and “Christian talk.”
- Do not be too wordy (3-4 minutes is adequate).
- Do not overemphsize how bad you used to be.
- Avoid giving the impression that you are now perfect.
- Do not preach–share Christ.
Benefits of Using an Evangelism Tool
- It presents the Gospel clearly.
- It helps give you confidence when you may be nervous.
- It gives you a guide to keep you on the subject.
- It presents the claims of Christ clearly without getting involved with other issues.
- It provides Bible verses.
- It often gives visual help as well as verbal.
- It offers suggestions for Christian growth.
- It can easily be taught to other Christians.
The Romans Road
- Romans 3:23 – “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.”
- Romans 6:23 – “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of god is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
- Romans 5:8 – “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
- Romans 10:9 – “If you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.”
- Romans 10:13 – “For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
- Romans 8:1 – “ Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.”