After we have put our faith in Jesus, we can often be led to question our salvation due to our circumstances. What do we do if we have those questions? How can we counsel others by asking those questions? When we put our faith in Jesus, His work has saved us once and for all.
The Question: What would you say to someone questioning their salvation?
The Possibility of Assurance
I write these things to YOU who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.1 John 5:13
- What you’ve done (Matthew 7:22)
- What you haven’t done (Luke 18:11)
- Promises of God
- I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes Him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over-from death to life – John 5:24
- I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one con snatch them out of my hand – John 10:28
- Witness of the Holy Spirit
- The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children — Romans 8:16
Questions To Ask
Consider these evidences from 1 John.
- Do you enjoy worshipping God (1 John 1:3)?
- Do you have an awareness of your sin (1 John 1:8)?
- Do you seek to be obedient to the Word of God (1 John 2:3)?
- Do you love other Christians and want to be with them (1 John 3:14)?
- Do you display the fruit of the Spirit (1 John 4:13, Gal. 5:22-23)?
Steps When You Are Unsure
- Asking is a good start
- Seek Counsel
The Application: What steps do you need to take to be sure of your salvation? Who do you need to pray for their salvation?