This week’s book of the week is John Piper’s The Passion of Jesus Christ. Love me some Piper, but I love me some Jesus even more. This book’s tag line (and what the 2nd edition was renamed) is 50 Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die.
These 50 small chapters pack so much theological truth into the reasonings Jesus came, died, and conquered sin and death.
So good. There is no greater love than the love of Jesus Christ.
Top 5 Lines:
- “If God were not just, there would be no demand for his Son to suffer and die. And if God were not loving, there would be no willingness for his Son to suffer and die” (20).
- “All my reaching and yearning and striving is not to belong to Christ (which has already happened), but to complete what is lacking in my likeness to him…Therefore, we fight against our sin not simply to become perfect, but because we are” (49).
- “The gospel of Christ is the good news that at the cost of his Son’s life, God has done everything necessary to enthrall us with what will make us eternally and ever-increasingly happy, namely himself” (63).
- “Our sin ruins us in two ways. It makes us guilty before God, so that we are under his just condemnation; and it makes us ugly in our behavior, so that we disfigure the image of God we were meant to display” (76).
- “Our happiest moments have not been self-saturated moments, but self-forgetful moments” (117).
Travis Agnew serves as the Lead Pastor of Rocky Creek Church in Greenville, SC. His most recent book is Just (About) Married.
Comments are closed.