Preached at North Greenville University – January 30, 2017
- Are you so worried about God’s will down the road that you are missing his will right in front of you?
- We can focus on the future so much that we neglect the present.
- You can be so concerned with God’s will then that you miss God’s will now.
- You can be so concerned with God’s will there that you miss God’s will here.
- In our renewal of gospel focus, we can neglect the process of sanctification.
- Gospel in 12 words: God creates us. God convicts us. God saves us. God sends us.
- How presumptuous to think that I will live long enough to see all my plans come to pass?
- Tomorrow’s plans can cause you to neglect today’s opportunities.
- The plans of a college student:
- Lucrative Career – Why would a company give you an opportunity after you graduate if you can’t do the work before you graduate?
- Athletic Award – Too many athletes assume they can hold a trophy without hitting the gym.
- Missionary Calling – What makes you think you will share Jesus with someone across the world if you won’t share Jesus with someone across the hall?
- Church Vocation – Being a critic of yesterday’s church does not make you an expert of today’s church.
- Godly Spouse – Mr. Right ain’t interested in Mrs. Wrong.
- Each of us are just one piece of news away from all our plans crashing and burning.
- Until I understand that this life is temporal, I won’t live for things eternal.
- I can either play the leading role in my earthly kingdom or a supporting role in God’s heavenly kingdom.
- When we attempt to make plans outside of consulting God’s will, we play make believe as if we had control of anything.
- How audacious of me to think that I somehow know or control my future!
- Promising future faithfulness while neglecting present obedience is sin.
- You find God’s will by doing God’s will (Rom 12:2).
- You discover God’s will by studying God’s Word (Psalm 119:105).
- You fulfill God’s will by promoting God’s Kingdom (Matt 6:10).
- BE FAITHFUL IN THE SMALL THINGS.
Travis Agnew serves as the Lead Pastor of Rocky Creek Church in Greenville, SC. His most recent book is Just (About) Married.