Jesus ministered at religious gatherings and at relational gatherings. If we understand the power of God, we will live in such a way that acknowledges that ministry cannot be hindered by a time, place, or situation.
21 And they went into Capernaum, and immediately on the Sabbath he entered the synagogue and was teaching. 22 And they were astonished at his teaching, for he taught them as one who had authority, and not as the scribes. 23 And immediately there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit. And he cried out,24 “What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God.” 25 But Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Be silent, and come out of him!” 26 And the unclean spirit, convulsing him and crying out with a loud voice, came out of him. 27 And they were all amazed, so that they questioned among themselves, saying, “What is this? A new teaching with authority! He commands even the unclean spirits, and they obey him.” 28 And at once his fame spread everywhere throughout all the surrounding region of Galilee.
29 And immediately he left the synagogue and entered the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John. 30 Now Simon’s mother-in-law lay ill with a fever, and immediately they told him about her. 31 And he came and took her by the hand and lifted her up, and the fever left her, and she began to serve them.
32 That evening at sundown they brought to him all who were sick or oppressed by demons. 33 And the whole city was gathered together at the door. 34 And he healed many who were sick with various diseases, and cast out many demons. And he would not permit the demons to speak, because they knew him.
Religious Gatherings (Mark 1:21-28)
- When religious people are offended by biblical truth, it’s because they have valued Mankind’s opinions over God’s word.
- A religious gathering devoid of Jesus’ presence doesn’t even provoke a demon.
- Jesus was fully man and fully God.
- When Jesus speaks, even the demons must obey Him!
- Demons can oppress a believer but never possess a believer.
Relational Gatherings (Mark 1:29-34)
- Ministry is not restricted to religious gatherings.
- Following Jesus doesn’t mean forgetting your family.
- When Jesus speaks, even sickness must obey Him!
- People who have been changed by Jesus can’t help but to serve Him and others.
- Don’t settle for ministering solely to physical needs when spiritual needs are present.
- How can you minister to others at religious gatherings?
- How can you minister to others at relational gatherings?
Travis Agnew serves as the Lead Pastor of Rocky Creek Church in Greenville, SC. His most recent book is Just (About) Married.