Greed is a dangerous sin. Since it sometimes lacks external evidences, we tend to allow it in our lives unchecked and unchallenged.
We must fight against the dangers of greed through the power of Scripture. Looking for Bible verses to study or memorize on a particular area of struggle? One of the best ways to combat sin is by memorizing Scripture.
Here are 10 verses for combatting greed.
- 1 Tim. 6:10 – For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.
- Luke 12:15 – And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”
- Heb. 13:5 – Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
- Matt. 6:24 – No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.
- Ecc. 5:10 – He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves wealth with his income; this also is vanity.
- Prov. 11:28 – Those who trust in their riches will fall, but the righteous will thrive like a green leaf.
- 1 Tim. 6:9 – But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction.
- Prov. 28:25 – A greedy man stirs up strife, but the one who trusts in the Lord will be enriched.
- 1 John 2:16 – For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world.
- Prov. 15:27 – Whoever is greedy for unjust gain troubles his own household, but he who hates bribes will live.
Travis Agnew serves as the Lead Pastor of Rocky Creek Church in Greenville, SC. His most recent book is Just (About) Married.